All Saints Church History

All Saints 1Records show that there was a wooden church around 995 AD, which was replaced by a stone building with a small tower in the Norman period (c.1100). The nave and north chapel were added c.1200, the small Norman building becoming the chancel of the enlarged building.

In the 15th century the pulpit was added, the height of the nave, north chapel and tower was raised by about half, and the fine nave roof was added. Many other improvements were made, but sadly these were destroyed in the religious turmoil of the late 16th century. The spirelet on the tower was added in 1631.

All Saints Church has six bells, one of which dates from the 15th century and weighs approx. 370 kilos. The most recent bell was added in 1977, the others having been re-hung in 1951.

In 1835 pews were erected in the chancel, paid for by those who sat in them. The vestry minutes record that the people who paid for them “drew lots for the choice of situation”. The present entrance-porch was built in 1866, replacing an earlier one which has been demolished. There is a list Rectors of West Camel all the way back to 1317.

The foregoing is only a summary of the history of All Saints Church. This attractive, historic church is well worth a visit, and further information about its history is available in the church.

Substantial internal renovations were completed in spring 2007. These include the provision of running water, kitchen facilities, and a disabled toilet. The organ was moved to the newly-built gallery.

All Saints 3

All Saints 2All Saints 4